Essay Writing Guide: Revising, Editing and Proofreading
Essay writing is process of writing usually comprises of introduction, main body and conclusion on some specific topic. Essay writing is a skillful task. It needs full attention and skill of writer. Good essay should always be revised once it is written. Essay should be written in critical and logical way with proper argumentation in order to support the stance that you have taken in your essay topic. Essay writing is a task that every student has to learn during their academic career. Good essay writing involves critical thinking. Critical thinking can be improved through experience and practice. The essay students learn to write in lower grades are quite easier in their form but the essays that students of higher grades need to write must be comprehensive and logically correct. Students think essay writing is a difficult task. Usually students fail to make a convincing thesis statement about which they have to present some logical evidence as well later on.
A good essay must contain following points:
- Thesis statement
- Main body
- 3 to 4 paragraphs comprising of examples, fact based information and logical argumentation
The best thing is to revise what you have written in your first draft.
Revising can be done efficiently by following the steps mentioned below:
- Exclusion of unnecessary information or material.
- Check your thesis statement should be valid and debatable.
- Check for your references and citations of the sources of factual information.
- Check the use of language.
- Check for correct spelling.
- Check for punctuation marks.
- Check that the argumentation you have built is logically correct and supportive or not.
- Check that overall your essay is thoroughly reflecting the main topic of your essay or not.
- Check that the conclusion you have drawn is well-drawn and clear.
- Conclusion should be meaningful and convincing.
After revising your essay, you should edit it in order to include and exclude things and in order to make corrections in your writing. Editing of essay can be done in following steps:
- You must proof read or edit your essay by taking a break of while between your writing and editing.
- Break will enable you to see things with fresh mind and make you able to pay attention to detail.
- Read your essay paper or writing from grammatical point of view.
- Correct the grammatical mistake if you find any.
High school, college and university papers are hard to write. However, having the time and knowledge to write the essay does not save you from the need to edit and proofread it once you are done with the draft. This resource will help you polish your academic work.
You have finished your academic career years ago and are currently working in business sphere. You still need to write memos, reports, conduct research, build presentations and present speeches for your job. Learn how to edit and proofread your business writing with our help.