Great Tutorial On How To Edit A Research Paper
You may have finished writing your research paper, but that doesn't mean it's complete yet! Always leave enough time to edit and proofread your essays before you submit them for grading. The best time to do this is after you have taken a rest, and some time away from the paper in question.
There are some simple steps that every student should know and follow, to make sure that the final version of their assignment is that absolute best that it can be.
Tips For Conducting An Excellent Final Edit:
- Have you structured and organized your thoughts and ideas cohesively, and in a way that is easy for the reader to follow? Your introduction should be clear, and leave no doubt as to the direction that your paper will take. Each of your supporting paragraphs should deal with one specific idea, or piece of evidence. Make sure you have not been sidetracked, or allowed your train of thought to wander.
- Compare your introduction with your conclusion to be sure that you have allowed your ideas and arguments to come full circle. The first paragraph introduces your position, and by the closing paragraph your reader should be fully convinced of the thesis you initially put forth.
- Have you eliminated any unnecessary words, and edited down any run-on sentences? Your aim should be to make your paper as concise and easy to understand as possible. Too much “word clutter” can be distracting and confusing for the reader. Reading your paper out loud may help you catch any parts that lack clarity or focus.
- Always do a careful spelling and grammar check. Many software programs are available to help, but they are not foolproof. Read every line to catch a “too” that should be a “two” or a “to”!
- Get a fellow student, friend or family member to read your paper to you. Ask them for feedback and suggestions. Ask them if they understood your argument and if there are any ways it could be strengthened.
- Re-read the initial assignment instructions to be certain that you have done what your instructor asked of you. Double check to make sure you have provided the required sources and proper citation, as well as the necessary minimum final word count.
No matter how much pressure you are under, or how heavy your course load seems at the moment, always take the time to edit! If you know of a classmate who is also swamped, consider switching papers, and edit each others work. A pair of fresh eyes may catch mistakes you have made, but are too tired to see!
High school, college and university papers are hard to write. However, having the time and knowledge to write the essay does not save you from the need to edit and proofread it once you are done with the draft. This resource will help you polish your academic work.
You have finished your academic career years ago and are currently working in business sphere. You still need to write memos, reports, conduct research, build presentations and present speeches for your job. Learn how to edit and proofread your business writing with our help.